Warning: Avoid attempting to use the TP-Link One Touch WiFi Cloning feature to copy the WiFi settings from your main router to the TL-WPA4220!
In our tests for one reason or another this simply didn’t work in a usable way with SpeedQuizzing.
Instead, follow these instructions to manually set up the unit for use with SpeedQuizzing.
- Firstly you need to Pair the TP-Link units following this info from the TP-Link website, (not to be confused with cloning the WiFi settings).
- Power both units up close to each other.
- If this has been successful the powerline light on each unit (2nd light down) should be lit.
- Next you you should download and run the TP-Link utility here.
- Connect the TL-WPA4220 directly to your laptop via an ethernet cable. (This is the larger of the two units)
- Run the downloaded TP_Link Utility and wait for it to detect your unit.
- Hit connect
- When prompted for a User Name and Password, the TP-Link Default Name is admin and the Password is also admin, which should then open this screen.
- In the Wireless Settings page change the SSID to how you want it to display as a WiFi network such as “Alternative Quiz” and click Save.
- Then on the Wireless Security page, Disable Security and scroll down to the bottom and click Save again.
- Now it’s important that you reboot the unit.
Connecting and using.
Once you’ve manually configured the TL-WPA4220, follow these instructions to make it work with SpeedQuizzing.
- Set up your main router with your laptop and launch SpeedQuizzing as you normally would, testing that you can successfully connect a player device to the SpeedQuizzing software.
- Plug the smaller of the two Powerline adaptors into a mains socket near your main router. (TP-Link literature advises to avoid using an extension lead where possible).
- Using an ethernet cable, connect the ethernet socket on the small Powerline unit to one of the spare black sockets on your main Buffalo router.
- Now plug the main (configured) larger Powerline unit into a mains socket centrally in your problem area. (The second light down on each unit) should illuminate to show that they can communicate with each other over your mains wiring.
- You should now be able to join the newly named network with a player device and connect to the SpeedQuizzing software.